My story… I’ll make it quick.
My career in education started when I was six years old and I created a library in the backyard playhouse I shared with my 3 younger siblings. I started checking out books to the neighborhood kids (and yes, charging late fees when they weren’t returned on time!). I wasn’t always popular for that, but kids learned!
I’ve always taken education very seriously, and I’ve always been a teacher.
After college, I began my official teaching career, although I lived with a school principal (my mom), so I felt I already knew that I belonged and was a lifer.
Ten years after teaching, I became really interested in the brain and learning readiness. My middle school kids were falling asleep in period one, bouncing off the walls in period seven, and unfolding drama after the lunch period; essentially there was one class period a day that I felt was actually in a learning ready state! Calm. Awake. Alert. Focused.
It was frustrating when my awesome (yes, it was awesome:)) math lesson was not fully executed for various reasons that appeared out of my control. And I was having a hard time finding as much JOY and fulfillment in my teaching, which was what drew me into it in the first place.
But having always been interested in health, well-being and self-care, I knew it was possible for kids to feel better, be energized and positive, so I took a year sabbatical and headed to LA to train and learn about using yoga and mindfulness practices to increase learning readiness and healthy bodies and minds. I knew kids couldn’t learn well when they didn’t feel well. Who can?
And as they say, the rest is history.
Since 2006, I’ve been in various roles supporting the integration of mind-body wellness, social emotional learning, and learning readiness – from training, coaching, consulting, teaching, authoring curriculum, and most importantly, continuously learning.
Although I have many years of formal education, I do feel it is my own learning, study, mentorships, and coaches that have equipped me on a deep level to support those interested in supporting kids at a deeper level and really integrating the mind, body, and heart to help kids, teachers and leaders thrive.
Although I am mostly defined by my role as mom and teacher, my deepest joy lies in learning – curiosity fills me and inspires me every day!
* B.A. Elementary Education, Catholic University of America
* M.S. Educating Students with Learning Disabilities, Purdue University
* M.S. Educational Leadership and Administration, Central Connecticut State University
* Certified Virtual Coach, Eban Pagen
* Certified Yoga Teacher, Yoga Alliance
* Certified Yoga Ed Trainer, Yoga Ed
* Certified Holistic Health Counselor, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, accreditation from Columbia University
* Foundational course certification Biodynamic Cranial Sacral Therapy, Angelica Singh
* Advanced courses certification, Mindful Schools
* Transformational Leadership Coach, Heartcore Leadership